Monday, August 11, 2014

The Forest River FR3 Class A Motorhome

We shopped around for almost 8 months before finally buying a motorhome. I was no longer going to pull a RV trailer behind my truck. This time I wanted to drive the motorhome, and pull my car behind it. Make sense?

The recognized term for the car being pulled behind a motorhome is a 'toad', or 'dinghy'. So for our 'toad', we bought a 2014 4x4 Jeep Cherokee that is capable of being towed '4 wheels down'. For a tow system, we selected the Blue OX base plate and tow bar. We had these installed by Hitch and Truck here in Austin, Tx.  Here is what it looks like attached to both the Jeep and the Motorhome.  Pretty simple, and easy to attach.


Then it was off to Alvarado to pick out the motorhome. On Friday we selected the Forest River FR3 30DS motorhome. After staying the night at the local La Quinta, Saturday afternoon we went back to the dealer for the walkthrough and final paperwork. They allowed us to stay the night in their overnight parking area to get used to the coach. This was a Saturday night, and even though there were other units ready to be delivered, we were the sole campers that night.

That is us in bay 8 ready to head home Sunday morning, pulling our Jeep behind us.

The drive home, about 175 miles, was uneventful and pleasant. I am definitely going to have to get used to driving a Class A. It is significantly different than sitting behind the wheel of a car or truck.

This was our first RV with slideouts. This FR3 has 2, one on each side. Sunday morning, I headed out to the Jeep at the rear of the coach to do something, but then on return I walked straight into the rear slideout. Blood trickling down my face, I headed for the door to get my 'live in' nurse, Jan, to tend to my wounds. It was at that moment I was glad there were no other campers around to watch this novice in action.

One of the few things I like about this 30' FR3 is that it has both a dinette and couch. Most of the smaller 28' coaches have just a dinette. I really like to stretch out on the couch in the evenings, so that was a big factor in selecting this model.


No comments:

Post a Comment