This year, Jan and I decided to try out the Winter Texan lifestyle. We found a real nice little RV resort near Edinburg that we have booked for January thru end of March. After packing up what we thought we would want for a 3 month stay, we headed out down the road on Sat January 16th.
The resort is only around 300 miles from the house, so I thought it would be a relatively comfortable days drive. However, nothing is ever easy as it seems. Once we left I-37 south of San Antonio, we hit a major wind blast from the north that stayed with us for 150 miles. Hitting us broadside, it was a challenge to stay in my lane.
We finally arrived in Edinburg, but I wanted to top off the motorhome with gas. There was a Flying J gas station 3 miles south of my turnoff to the resort, so I headed on down there. After filling up, I turned the FR3 beast back north, and encountered the absolute worst northerly wind I had ever driven in. There was no possible way for me to keep the FR3 in her lane, and even tho I only had 3 miles to go, it was a difficult challenge. Driving with my hazard lights on, I finally managed to get to the turnoff and head in another direction where the wind was not tossing this 20,000 lbs beast around the highway.
Finally, we reached our destination, and settled in for at least a couple of weeks relaxation. Our plan is to spend two weeks here, go home for 2 weeks, then come back down here for 2 weeks, etc, till the end of March. That all depends on weather, and whether or not we want to come back home or not.....
Saturday, the day we arrived the wind was blowing at least 30 to 40 MPH. One of us, I'm not gonna say which one, opened the door, and the wind caught it. WHAM! The little door shock absorber ripped right out of its socket. Oh great.
That night while relaxing in the hot tub, we met another couple from Illinois that mentioned a huge flea market where he found a RV parts guy. So Jan and I decided to go down there Sunday to check it out. So Sunday morning we headed out to Don-Wes flea market, and after having a sack full of mini-donuts made by one of the vendors there, we found the RV parts guy.
I showed him the part, and he said he had nothing that would replace it. Then he said, what a minute, I have an broken one out in my car, and all I needed was the end part. So he went out to the parking lot, and brought back the part I needed. When I asked what I owed him, he said nothing. What I deal. So I bought a couple of fuses and we left.
Down here you can buy oranges, grapefruits, pineapples almost anywhere. We picked up 2 10 lbs bags of oranges, and are now prepared for a week of fresh squeezed orange juice every morning. The resort we are staying at has grapefruit trees everywhere, so Jan is really enjoying her grapefruit juice.
No comments:
Post a Comment